Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Day 8: And The Beat Goes On



#YourTurnChallenge was a 7-day blogging challenge started by Seth Godin's Special Projects Lead Winnie, which I was honored to take part in. And I'm gonna keep going!!! I've decided to extend the challenge to 30 days. I will blog everyday from Jan 19th until Feb 17th. Wish me luck and happy reading.
 

7 days, 7 posts, 7 chances to expose myself to the cyberworld. Gotta say this challenge kicked my ass. I thought the challenge of the challenge would be to try and impress my readers everyday. Get y’all hooked into my cleverness. Ah….yeah. That went out the window, almost literally, bout the second day in.



The Challenge just happened to coincide with a blog post I was working on. Since the challenge started on the Monday I was to post I thought that’s pretty cool, let’s do it. I had been working on that post for a couple of days and I had it very much thought out. Almost too thought out. I found as the days went on there would be no way I could post the way I had in the past, which was spending many days thinking about what to write, working slowly to make it as perfect as possible. I didn’t have enough time for perfect. I decided to give myself 30 minutes to write a rough draft for each day. I’d then leave it and come back later. Right now the clock is ticking. 26 minutes. After I get off work tonight, around 1am, I’ll sit down at my laptop with a glass of wine, edit the best I can, add my finishing touches then send it out into the world. By this time it will be about 3am. Perfect, the East and everything in the middle will just be waking up. After a few hours of dream filled sleep I’ll sluggishly awake about 9am…ish. After I splash away the deadness of my wake with cool crisp water, the thoughts start. The neverending always evolving “to do list” starts. Let’s go tackle it, first some coffee.



16 minutes. In the end this challenge has taught me to just say what I want to say. That it doesn’t have to be perfect or over thought out. Just take out the middleman and write. Kind of like when riding bikes, first time you hit a new trail it takes a few rides til things just flow. Or with metal smithing, takes a bit to learn a new technique but once you’ve figure it out you’ll be riveting faster than Santa’s Elves. I’m just excited about how much I’m learning through writing and I think I’m getting better. And most importantly I’ve had the support of my family and friends cheering me on and giving me great advice to help me with the little things. Thank you, I couldn’t have done this alone and actually, I didn’t want to.



So where do I go from here? I’ve decided to extend my challenge. I will blog everyday for a month. I feel like I’ve progressed so much in just a few days I wanna see where 30 takes me. 10 minutes. I hope you will follow me along this journey. Thank you for reading.



*I'd love to hear from you, have questions? Comments? Please contact me at casey [at] caseyshepparddesigns [dot] com Thank you again for reading*  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment