Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Day 15: Maintaining The Flow State

#YourTurnChallenge was a 7-day blogging challenge started by Seth Godin's Special Projects Lead Winnie, which I was honored to take part in. And I'm gonna keep going!!! I've decided to extend the challenge to 30 days. I will blog everyday from Jan 19th until Feb 17th. Wish me luck and happy reading.





The moment I’m at my best, the most free, in the flow and connected with the universe is when I’m doing what I do. And yesterday was one of those days. I’m collaborating with an artist who lives in Europe but it just happened that she was going to be in San Diego for a week. Hot damn. This means roadtrip. Since I only had a day I was going to take advantage of every moment. That’s right that means a trail ride. I packed up the bike and found an easy trail that was about 20 miles east of San Diego. The day was coming together. There was even a constant flow in traffic, no stopping, that’s so strange, especially for LA.

I’ve done this numerous times, packed up the bike, rode a trail and then meet up with a new artist. In a couple of months this will be my life for a year. I gotta say I was a bit nervous. What the hell am I doing? I can’t do this, can I? As my nerves and doubts kicked in I pulled up to the trail head. After a quick change from the California girly sundress to my biking outfit of baggy shorts, bike tshirt and bandana, I was ready to role. As I jumped on the bike and clipped in I was damn giddy! And after bout two minutes the usually flick of the switch happened. I was flying, peddling as fast as I could through loss dirt and gravel. Even though the trail was pretty flat there were a few kickers that I hit full speed in hopes to catch a little air. I was free. I was out of my head in nature and hanging with one of the raddest steeds ever, skidmark (my bike). When I didn’t think it could get any better the sun popped out its pretty shinny face. As I sped back to the car, I laughed as I sang out as loud as I could to Tom Petty…I’m free….free falling. Yeah universe, I feel ya.

Time to load up the bike, hit the gas station restroom which I would use to convert myself, for the last time today, into my normal chilled out artist grab with motor cycle boots…to boot.

While driving into San Diego I was feeling good, really good actually. My job at the Beast is so physical that my body always hurts. Today’s ride felt as if it kicked me back into the cyclists that I haven’t seen since I moved to LA. I’ve missed her and it was nice to have her back even if it was just for the day. I was now getting nervous to meet the artist. I really only knew her by conversing over emails for the past couple of months. But I always get a little nervous before meeting someone new, that’s normal. Plus today was a good day, I was feeling it. Venture on.

We meet on the beach. It was short and kind of awkward at first. But today was a day of planets aligning, even for the strange awkward ones. When we talked about our project the nerves started to disappear and we found ourselves geeking out. This was a blast. After a few hours I was back in the car heading home to LA. As I drove I thought about the day which seemed unrushed. Usually I feel like time is getting away from me, not today. We just worked and without any effort. I could live this day over and over again without getting frustrated or bored. I’d dig it to the point that would make Bill Murray jealous (I had to go there its Groundhogs day damnit…okay…booo). 

*I'd love to hear from you, have questions? Comments? Please contact me at casey [at] caseyshepparddesigns [dot] com Thank you again for reading*   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment