Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Day 16: Line Crossing

#YourTurnChallenge was a 7-day blogging challenge started by Seth Godin's Special Projects Lead Winnie, which I was honored to take part in. And I'm gonna keep going!!! I've decided to extend the challenge to 30 days. I will blog everyday from Jan 19th until Feb 17th. Wish me luck and happy reading.


“Commitment is the line you must cross. It’s the difference between dreaming and doing.”


In my first year of mountain biking I came across this quote and many versions like it. The more experienced riders told me I needed to fully commit to a difficult skill or task while on the bike or I’d crash. It was that simple. I wasn’t sure if I believed them, could it really be that simple? Guess there is only one way to find out. I figured the best way to test their philosophy was on a group ride. I became anxious as we approached a steep difficult drop that I was very familiar with. Actually I had become a pro at somersaulting down it while clinging onto the bike. Okay, it’s show time. As I nervously reached the edge hands sweating, heart racing I told myself “you are going to do this, you totally have this. Commit Casey!!!” I was actually shouting this out to myself just incase I couldn’t hear my thoughts. The drop was so steep that I had to push myself back far enough so I won’t topple over the handle bars. My saddle (bike seat) was about in my chest but I wasn’t an acrobat today, I cleared it. Hellz Yeah, this commitment thing worked!! They were right. I was doing not dreaming. To this day all I have to do is commit and there are no crashes. In a way it made something hard easy. It was as if life had no choice but to succeed when in that state of mind. So how does this bike philosophy parallel with life? Does it translate? Will it have the same result? What if I crash or fail? I guess the only way to truly find out is to commit.



*I'd love to hear from you, have questions? Comments? Please contact me at casey [at] caseyshepparddesigns [dot] com Thank you again for reading*   


No comments:

Post a Comment